[erlang-questions] Re: A discussion in application design and event propagation

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Apr 19 22:34:46 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Jay Nelson <jay@REDACTED> wrote:

> It means 2 pg instances instead of one.  If so, how are they related?  One
> gets game messages (and private deal, etc messages), and the other gets some
> or all messages.  Different rules for the 2 groups.  gen_event is a good way
> to forward select messages to both, thus my suggestion of using gen_event as
> a dispatcher and pg for the group recipients.  But you may find using a
> pub/sub solution like RabbitMQ a better routing concentrator / filter.  They
> key feature in distributing the messages is latency depending on how
> real-time the game is.
>
> That's a pretty interesting approach I hadn't thought of. Users could
refine their own filtering whenever they receive a message in each process
group, but the largest part of it could be done straight from an event
manager where groups subscribe.

This does seem to play on the strengths of both options.