[erlang-questions] erlang on vista

Antoine Koener antoine.koener@REDACTED
Mon Apr 19 12:30:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Mazen Harake <
mazen.harake@REDACTED> wrote:

> Did you try to turn it off and on again?
>
> /Mazen
>

> On 19/04/2010 11:48, Joe Armstrong wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to run Erlang on Windows Vista.
>>
>> Having installed Erlang, when I try to run it I get the following error
>> message:
>>
>>     C:\Program Files\erl5.7.5\erts-5.7.5\bin\werl.exe
>>
>>     The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
>> configuration is incorrect. Please see the
>>     application event log for more deatils.

This is related to the 'Manifest'.
Windows uses Manifest (XML Files) that contains various informations about
which
version of DLLs is needed to run the program.

This Manifest is at the end of the werl.exe binary, you may open werl.exe
with
some text editor and extract this part.
Then you'll need to find the good dll version.

I think that your vista installation doesn't have the valid VC++Runtime
Redistributable.
"vcredist"

So You may download vcredist_x86.exe from the MS website,
search for 'vcredist 2008' in any search engine.

Note that there are multiples version of this file, so try the normal
version
(published in 2007) then try the SP1 version... (published in 2008)

Good Luck.

This problem is a major headache when you need to redistribute Erlang on
windows...