Heads up! Erlang package becomes modularized in Fedora.

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov@REDACTED
Sun Apr 11 08:06:18 CEST 2010

Hello!

2010/4/10 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@REDACTED>:

> So you are proposing a metapackage. Fedora has historically frowned at
> metapackages, we prefer to create comps groups to bundle multiple
> packages together.

Sorry, but this looks like purely non-technical argument for me (I
mean using verbs like "prefer", "frown" and so on). I, for example,
prefer meta-package, Fedora Haskellers prefer metapackage
(haskell-platform) too. My scheme introduces zero maintenance efforts
for those who are not interested in using modularized erlang package,
while your one (with existing for a while compatible package) will
definitely cause issues and complaints.

> The one problem a comps group won't solve is upgrade paths, but that can
> be handled by a temporary metapackage

In fact this raises more issues than solutions, so I still believe
that my proposed scheme is better than scheme with comps groups..

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.