[erlang-questions] {error,timeout} with gethostbyname

info info@REDACTED
Wed Sep 30 16:38:47 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:21:30PM +0200, info wrote:
> Ok.
> According to this information, I followed by hand the code (not easy ...) until:
> inet_gethost_native:gethostbyname("my_host",inet) which returns {error,timeout}
>
> This function calls getit(1,1,"my_host") but I don't know how to simulate it : it calls Pid ! {{self(),Ref}, Req}
> After I am lost ... there is do_open_port(get_poolsize(),get_extra_args()) ?

Yep. You would probably not want to go further...

inet_gethost_native is a server that keeps a port program written in C,
erts-5.7.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe, source in erts/etc/common/inet_gethost.c
for doing the actual calls to gethostbyname().

inet_gethost_native will compose a query, send it to the port program,
the port program will dispatch it to one of its worker threads,
wait for the answer, reply, and inet_gethost_native presents an answer.

You can, if you run werl not from cygwin, activate a debug console.
1 > inet_gethost_native:control({debug_level,99}).
ok
2 > inet_gethost_native:gethostbyname("foo").
{ok,{hostent,"foo.wherever.ericsson.com",[],inet,4,
             [{127,128,129,130}]}}

Command 1 > pops up a debug console, here is my content after 2 >:
Hej
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):debug_level = 99
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):Got data on index 0.
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):Got data from erlang.
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):OPeration == 1.
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):Saved domainname .
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):Created worker[2232] with fd 3822312
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):Saved domainname .
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[2232] (DEBUG):Worker got data on message que.
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[2232] (DEBUG):Worker got request, op = 1, proto = 1, data = foo.
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[2232] (DEBUG):Starting gethostbyname(foo)
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[2232] (DEBUG):gethostbyname OK
C:\PROGRA~1\ERL57~1.1\ERTS-5~1.1\bin\inet_gethost.exe[452] (DEBUG):Got data on index 1.

Number 3 and 2 from the end says gethostbyname(foo) was
called and returned OK. The data is then passed up to
the waiting inet_gethost_native and converted to hostent tuple.

The last lines for me are:

- got on index 0
- got data from erlang
- OPeration == 3
- Stalled worker

Do you have DNS or other name resolving configured on some other
interface in your machine that may cause lookup failure and timeout?

- My Hosts file has only one line:    127.0.0.1   localhost
- Wins is disabled
- Only one DNS server, one Domain controller (no replication) = same machine
- AD could be damaged ?
- I have another network connection but it is desactivated: could this one disturbed ?
- What else ?

You can also increase the timeout that inet_gethost_native uses
to wait for an answer, to see if there is a very late answer
after all. inet_db:set_timeout(15000) will give you a timeout
of one minute instead of 8 seconds default. inet_gethost_native
uses 4 times that value in milliseconds as timeout.

- I tried it but {error,timeout} comes before the end !