[erlang-questions] running without net tick

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sat Sep 26 20:38:58 CEST 2009

Valentin Micic wrote:
> You may change TICK value all day long, but if the underlying infrastructure
> s in some kind of trouble, that alone is not going to solve the problem.

FWIW, we once experienced a particularly confusing kind
of false positive with the net ticks. This happened during
/very low/ network load. The problem was a bug in the
internal communication paths of the AXD 301, which caused
some packets to be lost, and the max_rexmit_interval
setting happened to be higher than the net_ticktime.
So basically, the TCP stack could end up setting the
retransmit time to longer than Erlang's detection time
(which we had set to 10 seconds.)

BR,
Ulf W
--