[erlang-questions] wx fails to build on Snow Leopard

Paul Davis paul.joseph.davis@REDACTED
Mon Sep 7 08:18:17 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Steve Vinoski<vinoski@REDACTED> wrote:
> I'm seeing that the wx part of the Erlang/OTP build doesn't work on OS X
> 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I don't use wx so it's no big deal to me, but I'm
> seeing the g++ compiler appear to hang when compiling
> lib/wx/c_src/gen/wxe_funcs.cpp. I let it run quite awhile and it never got
> past that point, but my laptop fans were running full blast so I wonder if
> the compilation got stuck in an infinite loop. If I manually edit wx out of
> the lib/Makefile, then everything builds and seems to work as normal. There
> are also lots of compilation warnings in the wx area due to deprecation of
> some APIs being used and due to string constants being passed as char*.
> --steve

I just thought I'd pipe up and say that while this part of the build
does take an awfully long time, it eventually finishes. I've been
working through build issues with a couple projects on Mac OS X 10.6
all weekend and this one eventually concerned me until I realized it
was just a bit slow.

I can confirm that calling wx:new() throws an error that mentions
undefined symbols. I've pasted it below. I'm not actively using wx but
maybe the trace helps someone somewhere.

Paul Davis

$ ./bin/erl
Erlang R13B01 (erts-5.7.2) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
[async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.7.2  (abort with ^G)
1> wx:new().

=ERROR REPORT==== 7-Sep-2009::02:12:56 ===
WX Failed loading
"wxe_driver"@"/Users/davisp/tests/otp/otp_src_R13B01/lib/wx/priv/i386-apple-darwin10.0.0"
** exception error:
{load_driver,"dlopen(/Users/davisp/tests/otp/otp_src_R13B01/lib/wx/priv/i386-apple-darwin10.0.0/wxe_driver.so,
2): Symbol not found: __ZN10wxBoxSizer11RecalcSizesEv\n  Referenced
from: /Users/davisp/tests/otp/otp_src_R13B01/lib/wx/priv/i386-apple-darwin10.0.0/wxe_driver.so\n
 Expected in: flat namespace\n in
/Users/davisp/tests/otp/otp_src_R13B01/lib/wx/priv/i386-apple-darwin10.0.0/wxe_driver.so"}
     in function  wxe_server:start/0
     in call from wx:new/1
2>