[erlang-questions] wx fails to build on Snow Leopard

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Fri Sep 4 15:30:55 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Steve Vinoski<vinoski@REDACTED> wrote:
> I'm seeing that the wx part of the Erlang/OTP build doesn't work on OS X
> 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I don't use wx so it's no big deal to me, but I'm
> seeing the g++ compiler appear to hang when compiling
> lib/wx/c_src/gen/wxe_funcs.cpp. I let it run quite awhile and it never got
> past that point, but my laptop fans were running full blast so I wonder if
> the compilation got stuck in an infinite loop. If I manually edit wx out of
> the lib/Makefile, then everything builds and seems to work as normal. There
> are also lots of compilation warnings in the wx area due to deprecation of
> some APIs being used and due to string constants being passed as char*.

The build continues once that one long compile step has finished.
What was "quite a while"? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

Can you try to build again and wait a little longer?

This does not mean that the wx driver now automatically works on OSX:
  "WX Failed loading "wxe_driver"@[...]".
Also, by default on OSX.6 it's -m64, so:
  wxe_driver.so: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64.).

The wx driver not easily working is an issue specific to Darwin,
there are no problems like that on linux.

For the record, Snow Leopard seems to bundle wx-2.8.8 and the
on 10.5 it also failed with 2.8.10. That's why I didn't try to use
a 2.8.10 install of wxMac for the driver, yet.