[erlang-questions] Re: implementing annotation in erlang

Igor Ribeiro Sucupira igorrs@REDACTED
Thu Sep 3 05:05:46 CEST 2009

Hi, Steve.

I believe Pawel is not worried about having to recompile.

The key (most difficult) functionality he needs is to be able to
change the name of a function without having to change *anything*
more.

So, for example, if command "getDevTimeCmd" is associated with fun
some_module:getTime/0 and you then decide to change the name of
getTime to getLocalTime (and recompile), you would automagically have
"getDevTimeCmd" associated to fun some_module:getLocalTime/0.

I don't think this can be done in Erlang (but what do I know?  :)).
Fred's neat solution got close, but you still have to change somewhere
else if you rename fun test/0 to fun run_test/0, for example. However,
at least the change would be in the same module, which is already an
advantage over what I and other people have proposed.

Igor.