[erlang-questions] open_error -192 on erl_ddll:load_driver(crypto_drv)

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Wed Sep 2 16:31:01 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Rob Charlton
<rob.charlton@REDACTED>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Googling for libeay32.dll and error 182 brings up quite a lot of hits -
> mostly related to an application picking up an older copy of the DLL
> somewhere on the machine. Seems to be fixable by juggling entries in the
> path around. Have you searched for other copies of libeay32.dll on the PC?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

Looks like we have a winner. It turns out that on that pesky machine, there
is an extemely old (2005) libeay32.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32 . Because that
directory is the SystemDirectory and Windows looks for DLLs there first when
crypt_drv.dll (i.e., not using an absolute path), that really old file ends
up as the libeay32.dll that gets loaded. Because it is so old, it does not
have all the necessary exported functions, and therefore triggers the
ERROR_INVALID_ORDINAL.

I wonder which really anti-social piece of SW thought it would be handy to
dump a DLL in the Windows system folder? Probably loads of apps that still
do this, aargh.

Thanks for the help,
Robby