[erlang-questions] Process Dictionary vs Proplist in Web Frameworks

Jayson Vantuyl kagato@REDACTED
Thu Oct 29 21:50:40 CET 2009

I'd say no, for a few reasons.

1.  It makes it difficult if you ever do need to split stuff up into
multiple processes.  As soon as you need a "helper" process, all of
your data is inaccessible.
2.  It makes it difficult to debug via tracing.  You can trace
function calls, tracing changes to the process dictionary is a bit
more hairy.
3.  If you want to "hide" the proplist, just pass around some sort of
"request" record.  Then you don't see it unless you access the
record.  Or use macros and message a "request" process for the data.
4.  If you use Mnesia, transactions can be retried, so you may end up
with your mutations happening multiple times if anything happens
inside of a transaction.

I don't deny that Erlang needs some better syntax and conventions for
passing data around (preferably via namespace magic like Ruby or
Python), but the process dictionary can break a quite a few
assumptions and break quite a few useful patterns.  This could be fine
if you're the only one writing the code, but you the process
dictionary, in the wrong hands, can make many an Erlanger curse your
name.