writing an snmp client

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Sat Oct 10 03:54:48 CEST 2009

I'm looking in to writting an application which is an SNMP client. I've
found two references that look to be worth  read namely,

http://www.trapexit.org/SNMP_Quick_Start
http://www.erlang.org/doc/pdf/snmp.pdf

Besides the manual is there anything I should read? Any examples I
should look at? What I'm really looking for is a sort of check list or
walk through for a minimal client.

I tried setting up a snmp manager as described in the quick start (NB: I
only followed the section Manager Config on as I don't need an agent) ,
but got

1> application:start(snmp).
ok
2> snmpm:which_users().
** exception error: bad argument
     in function  ets:match/2
        called as ets:match(snmpm_user_table,{user,'$1','_','_'})
     in call from snmpm_config:which_users/0
3> snmpm:which_agents().
** exception error: bad argument
     in function  ets:match/2
        called as ets:match(snmpm_agent_table,{{'$1','$2',user_id},'_'})
     in call from snmpm_config:which_agents/1

Is there a general bit that's common to the both the agent and the
manager that I would have missed by skipping to the manager section?

Jeff.