[erlang-questions] wxErlang - wxLogNull question

Dan Gudmundsson dangud@REDACTED
Fri Oct 9 09:47:41 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Amit Murthy <amit.murthy@REDACTED> wrote:

>> this seems to be the reason for having a separate wxexlang os process
>> instead of a driver.
>> If people begins to exercise more and more library funtions for porpouses
>> other that display a GUI
>> we can lose all the resilence we have in the VM.
>>
>> Just take this "or the image binary is corrup" and now how do you (1) "let
>> other process fix the error" when we
>> have a lot of code and subtle bugs buried inside a big erlang driver?
>>

> OK. Will do once I understand how the driver works...
That was a joke I'll fix it if I can find the time, but if you want to I'll
gladly accept a patch.

> Just started using wxErlang, but I did not notice the following :
>
>  - create a wxImage object from a corrupted image file.
>  - the getHeight() and getWidth() functions return 0, which is OK
>  - but, if you execute some other image manipulation functions like
> convertAlphaToMask(),
> it results in a "segmentation fault" and crashes the entire VM.

Yeah that is the problem with wxWidgets and a driver.
It's very tough for me to workaround every way you can crash wxWidgets.

Don't use it on your critical server directly, use the
erlang-distribution and let the
gui access the server from another node for critical systems.
Using rpc or communicating with another node is easier in erlang than
in any other
language that I know.

/Dan