[erlang-questions] trading systems

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Thu Oct 1 22:02:13 CEST 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Jayson Vantuyl wrote:

> Concurrent + latency-sensitive + distributed == damn hard to
> optimize in any language.

Not necessarily hard. It's perfectly fine to be concurrent at the
process level, for example.

The difficulty with Erlang is tracking the state of all the message
queues at any given moment and just plain figuring out what's going on
among all the different processes. I have resorted to various tricks
apart from tracing, e.g. putting stuff into the process dictionary at
various stages of process life for ease of fetching via process_info.

> That said, Erlang certainly takes a specific mindset to optimize.
> Are these built with Distributed Erlang?

Distributed Erlang indeed. Very distributed. Check the recent netsplit
thread for some of the weirdness. Go back to the "Ultimate Erlang
Challenge" for more.

---
fastest mac firefox!
http://wagerlabs.com