[erlang-questions] trading systems

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Thu Oct 1 21:39:36 CEST 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 8:07 PM, Jayson Vantuyl wrote:

> Multicore systems inherently increase latency and decrease cache
> performance.  Erlang is optimized for these.  Any information you
> have regarding cache behavior is highly unlikely to be directly
> applicable.  Test and profile, early and often.  It's the only way
> to go.

Erlang is often slow, even on multicore. Erlang is damn hard to
optimize. I have spent literally months trying to understand the
behavior and optimize OpenPoker and recently another system I build
for a client. The latter system scales to hundreds of thousands of
users on Amazon EC2 and makes use of up to 200 servers in simulation.

Both projects need high performance. I still bear the scars and I'm
still recovering.

I feel that Erlang is a good start but I also feel that I must start
the right way. After a good deal of time spent with Erlang, I'm very
wary of "use the naive approach first" suggestions. It's all good in
theory but does everyone making these suggestions have my amount of
practice ;-).

---
fastest mac firefox!
http://wagerlabs.com