[erlang-questions] Re: trading systems

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Thu Oct 1 19:23:11 CEST 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Artur Matos wrote:

> Things might be better now there is the new FFI interface and such,

Is there a new FFI interface? If you are talking about loadable BIFs
then I would very much like to make use of it.

> Of course you might have a different set of requirements - this might
> not apply to you if you just want to implement a simple trading bot,
> and have another system in place for managing orders, executions,
> etc...

The platform I'm thinking about is rather simple. Consider
EasyLanguage (EL)
for example [1]. This is a Pascal-like language, the Basic of trading
languages judging by popularity. It's the language used by
TradeStation [2].

It's a neat and very capable language but using it requires you to
babysit
your desktop. You cannot put EL on the server for unattended but
monitored
trading. The language itself does not have heavy-duty statistics or
anything
of the sort. It does have a bunch of technical indicators like moving
averages.
In fact, most if not all the indicators are implemented in EL rather
than built in.

I have already written compilers from EL to C# in Haskell, OCaml and
Lisp [3].
I plan to write yet another compiler, this time in and to Erlang. I
then plan
to sell this "black box" execution system to brokerage houses and
enable them
to offer a value-added service to their clients.

Server-side (co-located?) execution does not need any graphics or
charting,
although a web interface would come in extremely handy.

[1] http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2201
[2] http://www.tradestation.com
[3] http://groups.google.com/group/topdog/browse_thread/thread/d5fd8feac8e68331

---