[erlang-questions] A small question about TCP Socket of Erlang

Ngoc Dao ngocdaothanh@REDACTED
Sun Nov 29 01:02:02 CET 2009

> Why is there a match? SocketOnClient =:= SocketOnServer? Do server and client share the same socket after connection is set?

No. SocketOnServer in step 3 is for matching with SocketOnServer in
step 2. SocketOnServer and SocketOnClient are just values and
independent. To see their values, use io:format("~p~n",
[SocketOnServer]) and io:format("~p~n", [SocketOnClient]).

I think you're confused because of the resemblance of the code for
server and the code for client. But actually this is the beauty of the
design of the API.