[erlang-questions] Erlang "object-oriented" after all?

Tony Arcieri tony@REDACTED
Tue Nov 24 19:46:44 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Michael Turner <leap@REDACTED> wrote:

> "I thought of objects being like biological cells and/or individual
> computers on a network, only able to communicate with messages . . . . I
> wanted to get rid of data. . . ."

You'll find this quote in my presentations on Reia:

http://www.unlimitednovelty.com/2009/05/reia-presentations.html

In this regard, I think Erlang is closer to Alan Kay's conception of an OO
language than most "OO" languages today.  Such is the legacy of C++.  The
"only able to communicate with messages" concept is not upheld in many of
these languages, as objects can "communicate" through destructive mutations
of shared state rather than messages.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh/Nagravision