[erlang-questions] Erlang "object-oriented" after all?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Nov 24 10:06:28 CET 2009

Yes.

It's difficult to  say if Erlang is OO - since there is no widely
accepted definition of what OO is or means.

When we wrote the first Erlang book we looked up many definitions of
OO but there was a wide
variation in what different languages regarded as comprising OO'ness.

I now believe the following to be central to the notion of OO.

      - Isolated concurrent things
      - Communication through message passing
      - Polymorphism

All the other stuff (inheritance, private/public methods, ....) has
nothing to do with OO.

isolation is essential - if my set of objects can be damaged by your
set of objects then we just can't build
reliable systems.

Isolation implies pure (copying) message passing and concurrency.
Things must be concurrent - otherwise
how could we make a "clock" object.

Polymorphism is essential in the messaging interface to abstracting
out the internal details of an object. Pid ! printYouself cold tell
any objects to print itself. All I/O objects should respond to
read/write/... messages
etc.

By these criteria there are actually no OO languages (nobody can do
*complete* isolation) though Erlang
is nearer to being OO than many other languages. And most so-called OO
languages are not OO.

One problem with saying "everything is an object" is that it doesn't
allow us to talk about things which are not
objects. So ask questions like "is time an object?" is "code
replacement an object?" is "is scalability an object?"
you won't get a sensible reply.

The erlang answers are easier:

"Q: What is code replacement?"
"A: A protocol - Pid ! {newCode, F} tells the process Pid to start
executing new code F"

and so on....

For convenience things like code replacement are built into the OTP
behaviours - which basically just enforce several low-level protocols.

/joe