[erlang-questions] massive distribution

Peter Sabaini peter@REDACTED
Mon Nov 23 21:57:50 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 11:17 +0100, Roberto Ostinelli wrote:
> dear all,
>
> we are using erlang for cloud computing applications, and i would like
> to know if it's possible to take advantage of the processing power of,
> let's say, 50,000 cores [i.e. from 6,000 to 12,000 machines, therefore
> erlang nodes]. i'm interested in knowing if someone has the
> information on how many interconnected nodes erlang has been proven
> able to support.

If you're talking about the built-in Erlang distribution mechanisms --
FWIW: in a quick test I did a while ago I had trouble keeping stable
connections for more than ~80 connected nodes. I must admit I was a bit
surprised as the "Efficiency Guide" seems to imply that the number
should be much higher (?).

Possibly the number of known (but not connected) nodes can be higher
than this.

HTH,
peter.