Problem With Common Test

Jayson Vantuyl kagato@REDACTED
Tue Nov 17 02:34:47 CET 2009

I'm trying to get common_test working.  I have a few problems.

First, the install procedure is byzantine.  I'm not asking for an immediate fix, but really, there has to be a better way.

Next, if I use the example (which includes ct.hrl), I get the following trying to do an erl -make.

Recompile: src/isopod_SUITE
/opt/local/lib/erlang/lib/common_test-1.4.1/include/ct.hrl:20: can't find include file "test_server.hrl"

So, it appears that it should be using include_lib, instead of include.  If I write the test without the include, it works, but I can't use the ?line macros.

Third, when I try to load the Visual Test Server, I get this:

> Erlang R13B (erts-5.7.1) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>
> Starting webtool...
> Eshell V5.7.1  (abort with ^G)
> (ct@REDACTED)1> WebTool is available at http://localhost:8888/
> Or  http://127.0.0.1:8888/
> Starting vts...
> Sending URL to netscape...sh: line 0: exec: netscape: not found
>                                                                 not running, starting netscape...
>
> Common Test starting (cwd is /Users/kagato/engineyard/swarm)
>
> CT failed to install configuration data. Please verify that the log directory exists and that write permission is set.
>

> User switch command
>  --> q

Ignoring the "netscape" error, the "CT failed to install configuration data" is a problem.  It appears to be contently using the current directory (and even creates a variables file), but it always gives this error.  Specifying config files hasn't helped.

Fourth, when will I be able to usably get coverage data?  The requirement that the .beam files be in the same directory as the .erl files is pretty much a nonstarter.  The feature might as well not exist, since it's completely incompatible with any of the packaging tools.

Thanks,

--
Jayson Vantuyl
kagato@REDACTED