[erlang-questions] Why Beam.smp crashes when memory is over?

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Mon Nov 9 09:45:10 CET 2009

Interesting discussion!

I have been working on a resource system for Erlang for nearly two
years now.
I have a working (tm) prototype where you can set resource limits like
max_processes/max_ports/max_memory/max_time/max_reductions ...
The limits are passed with spawn_opt and are inherited by the
processes spawned.
This means that if you spawn_opt(M,F,A[{max_memory, 1024*1024}]) the
process
will be able to use 1M words for it self and it's "subprocesses". This
also means
that the spawner will get 1M less to use (as designed right now). If a
resource limit
is reached the process crash with system_limt reason.

There are still some details to work out before a release, but I will
try to get it ready before
end of this year.

/Tony