[erlang-questions] Distributing things

Fabio Mazanatti Nunes fabio.nunes@REDACTED
Sat Nov 7 22:28:32 CET 2009

Hi Calum,

as I said, my scenario may be weird, and indeed it is :-)
But I can't see why it wouldn't use as many nodes as possible - I defined
that the range interval was 5000, but could be any other number, fixed or
derived from a calculation considering the # or digits and the # of active
nodes, for instance.

Anyway, my goal was to put an example of coordination and distribution. if
each node works on a single number or a predefined range is not relevant -
someone (a central module, for instance) has to control and pass the
information along.

You may know how many nodes will be available at production, but most of
time you don't build your solution considering it. I'm working actively with
Java EE, and always built applications targeting "clusters" (with any number
of members), not a specific number of instances. If you need more power, you
just add more nodes (or instances) to the environment.

So, your idea of abstracting the number of actual nodes of a solution is the
right way to go, at least to me :-)

Ciao!