[erlang-questions] Distributing things

Fabio Mazanatti fabio.mazanatti@REDACTED
Sat Nov 7 21:55:15 CET 2009

Hi,

the scenario I imagined for this exercise, based on Calum's text would be
something like assigning a range of numbers to each node, starting with the
lowest possible given by the entry parameter (the # of digits), controlling
its distribution and wrapping things up when a prime number is found by one
of the nodes.

An example: 4 nodes, generating a prime with 6 digits, would start at
100.000. The entry point would assign a range from 100.000 to 105.000 to
node 1, 105.001 to 110.000 to node 2, and so on. When a node finishes
traversing a range, a new block is assigned to it, until one of them returns
a valid value, and processing stops.

Maybe(?) this is a weird construction, but the idea is to explore parallel
processing of series, rather than disconected calls from many clients.

I'm new to Erlang too, just finished reading Joe's book (BTW, great work!!),
and am now exploring possibilities. Don't know if this matches with Calum's
idea, but it's something I would like to explore :-)

Cheers,
Fabio Mazanatti