[erlang-questions] Is erlang suitable to handle Constraint satisfaction problems ?

Michael Turner leap@REDACTED
Thu Nov 5 04:47:24 CET 2009

On 11/4/2009, "Richard O'Keefe" <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

>As others have noted, modern Prolog systems like SICStus,
>Eclipse, and SWI often support contraint programming.

I pointed out ECLiPSe as being probably more appropriate for the needs of
the original inquirer, especially since it's
Prolog-for-constraint-programming-until-the-cows-come-home.

The inevitable afterthought arrived: sometimes constraint programming has
highly parallelizable stages, and for very large problems, good
concurrency support could be a big help.  So I went looking for how
ECLiPSe might manage concurrency and found this, at
http://www.eclipse-clp.org/:

"ECLiPSe programs can execute in or-parallel on shared-memory
multiprocessor hardware (this functionality is currently not actively
maintained because of other priorities)."

If the maintainer can't tell you that his app is broken in a certain
respect, it means it's almost certainly broken in that respect.

To qualify my first recommendation: ECLiPSe is probably better IF you
don't need parallelized solvers.  Maybe there's something worth doing
with Erlang in this application space for big, highly parallelizable
constraint programming.  ECLiPSe-over-Erlang would be so ridiculously
powerful that somebody might write Skynet in it by accident.  If only I
weren't so wrapped up right now in this project of implementing TECO in
Erlang ...

-michael turner

P.S. The last two sentences of the above were meant in jest, just in case
anybody found them confusing.  Especially the one referring to Skynet;
everybody knows that Skynet would have to be written in Emacs Lisp.