[erlang-questions] erlang for programming a text editor

Michael Turner leap@REDACTED
Wed Nov 4 03:55:48 CET 2009

"Good design never just happens."

Great bumpersticker line!  Copyright it immediately.

The main useful purpose I can see for using Erlang to implement a
text-editor-cum-general-purpose-shell-programming-environment (Emacs
being exemplary) is to make a promotional statement about Erlang: your
success says, "Look, Erlang is not just great for what it was designed
for, it's also quite adequate for other purposes."

Wings3D already does a pretty good job in that department, though.
Offhand, I can't think of a good reason to write a 3D modeler in Erlang
specifically.  What Wings3D says, in effect, is that if you just want to
write something complex for fun and learning value, you shouldn't worry
that Erlang would hamper you significantly -- it might make some things
harder, but not prohibitively so.

Wings3D is better than some hypothetical Emacs clone in another
(promotional) respect: your average *user* can relate to it better.
Emacs grew up in the glass tty days, it's got a face (and a raison
d'etre) that only a programmer could love.  Most people these days
don't even know what you mean when you say "text editor", any more
than they know what you mean when you say "Erlang is Turing-complete."

-michael turner