[erlang-questions] erlang for programming a text editor

Ted Henry tedhenry10@REDACTED
Tue Nov 3 23:16:05 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Alpar Juttner
<ajuttner.list@REDACTED> wrote:

> An editor like emacs does not need multicore, but it _does_ need
> concurrency, as it could provide much better responsiveness. When emacs
> blocks for a couple of seconds, it is already annoying. When it blocks
> for tens of seconds, it can be a considerable pain.
>
>      * Several years ago, I had gave up using a Emacs-RMAIL, because
>        fetching new mail took a long time on our environment and this
>        process blocks the whole emacs.
>      * Emacs can open remote files through ssh/ftp. A wonderful feature
>        but opening and (auto)saving may take quite a while through the
>        net and these processes also block whole emacs.
>      * Emacs-w3 is also practically unusable due to its blocking
>        behavior.

Thanks for your response and examples. These issues seem more related
to Emacs as an OS (as some non-Emacs users like to accuse) rather than
Emacs as a simple text editor...not that I'd be shooting for the
simple text editor. ;-)

Ted