[erlang-questions] Multi-precision math, random number generator entropy, various other questions

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Sun May 31 22:26:22 CEST 2009

2009/5/31 Dave Smith <dizzyd@REDACTED>

> Please note, I don't believe the random module is suitable for _any_
> cryptographic usage. If you want a strong RNG, you will want to look
> at crypto:rand_bytes/1.  That module uses the OpenSSL RNG which should
> be fine for cryptographic purposes.

This is most definitely true, the random module should not be used for
cryptographic use! It is much too deterministic for that. It is, however,
reasonable to use in simulations or other applications where it is
unimportant that the random numbers can be duplicated.

Robert