[erlang-questions] What are the cons and pros of using Erlang rather than java to develop server backend?

Fred Hebert (MononcQc) mononcqc@REDACTED
Fri May 22 20:17:34 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Steve Davis <steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
> wrote:

> I could not agree more with Joe's comment about non-functional being
> basically ignored for much too long during development!
>
> However, I'm kind of intrigued as to what answers to the questions
> posed would in practice yield an answer *other than* Erlang/OTP?
>
> The only one that works for me is: "I'm being forced to use framework
> 'X' against my better technical judgement"
>
> I'd be interested in what others think about this.
>
> /s
> (yep, I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid, and seeing no reason as yet to
> stop :))
>

> On May 22, 9:17 am, Joe Armstrong <erl...@REDACTED> wrote:
> > You have to tell us more about your problem in order to get sensible
> > feedback. So far you have said...

Well, as has been mentioned, you could go with clojure and terracotta for
the JVM; Clojure is a lisp-variant without destructive updates and comes
with transactional memory built-in; it's thus functional, benefits from a
two-way communication system with the java libraries, can be good at
concurrency. Terracotta would let you distribute the code with relatively
enough ease too.

Hot code swapping can be substituted by updating nodes one by one and a good
switching system; with enough isolation, the update becomes transparent and
requires no downtime at all, while forcing you to keep redundancy in mind.

It's certainly more complicated to set up as a distributed environment, but
it's a completely acceptable alternative, especially for the libs and the
lisp macro system.