[erlang-questions] What is the status of ebdc?

Carl McDade carlmcdade@REDACTED
Wed May 20 21:13:45 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Jon Gretar Borgthorsson
<jongretar@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Carl McDade <carlmcdade@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, I figured that out from reading Yariv's earlier postings. The
>> thing is I am trying to use Erlang for the web and present tutorials
>> that do not require having to to cobble together stuff from 12
>> different sources. One source is ideal, three is the max. I think.
>

> I am a bit confused by this. There usually is one main place for each
> framework you wish to use.

Yes but when they don't each have a tool like a DB layer it means
borrowing pieces from other software to fill the gap. Very hard to
keep track of and troubleshoot when upgrading.

>> I am some what surprised that neither Yaws or Erlang Web have database
>> layers given that they seem to be the most mature of all web oriented
>> projects. Without this, learning Erlang via web development is going
>> to be harder than I thought.
>

> Well. Yaws is a web server. So it doesn't have database support much like
> Apache doesn't have one.

Yes but unlike Apache Yaws provides an application layer
(yapps,appmods,yaws pages...) but nothing to connect to a RDBMS.

> Mnesia is the default database for many frameworks. And Mnesia doesn't need
> this database layer as it already lives and breaths Erlang. Neither do you
> need it for CouchDB as the work is done in the dabase. You really only need
> it to simplify the SQL.
> We had a discussion in the Nitrogen Web Framework forums the other day about
> wether to include a DB layer. And it was hard to find a reason why to
> include it when on does not focus on SQL as the default datastore.

If you are starting a project from scratch and only using Erlang then
this is okay. But I think the reality is most will be migrating from
another technology or data source.

I am saying this only because I strongly feel that adoption of Erlang
and starting community growth is in making the transition as easy as
possible from other technologies.

Just think about how many would choose Nitrogen over Rails (like me)
if they did not have to worry about re-designing the database. Many
CMS and other web application might be built on Nitrogen if the web
developer only had to connect to a blog or wiki mysql db and start
building from there.

I hope you guys decide to implement something because it would bring a
breakthrough in interest in using Erlang and your framework.

--
Carl McDade
Content Management Systems Consultant