[erlang-questions] At what point am I "playing compiler"

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Mon May 18 07:14:54 CEST 2009

Not knowing anything about compiler design: Would it be possible to add
"compiler notes" to the existing module so that the compiler could do
these optimisations? This would avoid growing the core which could lead
to feature creep style growth of the core languge - Where do you draw
the line? The other advantage is that it would allow third parties to
make recommendations to the compiler for their modules to optimiser the
compiled code. It could also allow a larger group of people to play with
optimising things different ways without having to play directly with
the compiler. Admittedly, this may be a very small group.

Jeff.