[erlang-questions] Erlang support in autoconf broken

Romain Lenglet romain.lenglet@REDACTED
Sun May 17 03:54:42 CEST 2009

Hi,
There is a version 2.63b version which includes the fix, cf.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2009-03/msg00104.html

If you don't want to install this version, and patch your local installation
(e.g. in /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/):

- fix the bug, by replacing "#!/bin/sh" with "[#]!/bin/sh", in erlang.m4, cf.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=20c24928abd703a96ffc79b8ff9e5e215303a141

- rebuild Autoconf's "frozen" archive:
cd /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/
autom4te --language=autoconf --freeze --output=autoconf.m4f

You can't unfortunately just put the patched erlang.m4 file into your
project's directory, since the names of macros that must be used for test
language support (like in erlang.m4, c.m4, etc.) contain parentheses, which
crashes aclocal when generating the configure script. So one can define those
macros only in Autoconf's frozen file.
Those macro names are apparently better (no more parentheses) in the upcoming
2.64 version.

--
Romain Lenglet