[erlang-questions] error_logger and the perils of asynchronicity

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Sat May 16 16:53:19 CEST 2009

Hi Christian,

Are you saying that the bottleneck issue with error_logger is to do with
processing its inbox and not with the call to io:format in the receive
that synchronously writes the message out to disk?

It was my guesstimate that it would very likely be the latter scenario.
If it is, then I would strongly suspect that pushing out that work to
another node and/or making that process of writing to disk asynchronous
to the receive would resolve the issue.

Without facing/replicating/resolving this particular issue myself, my
suggestions should be taken as just that. I posted them in the hope that
that they may trigger an approach that does resolve the issue that Ulf
brought to the table.

Regards,
Steve