[erlang-questions] is Linux's clock_gettime still "not stable" enough for Erlang?

Roger Critchlow rec@REDACTED
Thu May 14 12:01:02 CEST 2009

Maybe I'm confused, but I think the problem is that configure ignores the
test result under linux.

My config.log for otp_src_R13B says:

configure:19638: checking if clock_gettime can be used to get process CPU
time
configure:19682: gcc -o conftest -g -O2
-I/usr/local/src/otp_src_R13B/erts/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
-D_GNU_SOURCE   conftest.c -lrt >&5
configure:19686: $? = 0
configure:19692: ./conftest
configure:19696: $? = 0
configure:19715: result: not stable, disabled

The compile of the test (line 19682) succeeded (line 19686), the test (line
19692) succeeded (line 19696), but the result of the test is ignored because
the ac_local.m4 code mentioned at the start of the thread.  That code
ignores the result of the test, which is recorded in $erl_clock_gettime,
when running linux.

    case $host_os in
        linux*)
            AC_MSG_RESULT([not stable, disabled])
            LIBRT=$xrtlib
            ;;
        *)
            case $erl_clock_gettime in
                  true)
                    AC_DEFINE(HAVE_CLOCK_GETTIME,[],
                          [define if clock_gettime() works for getting
process time])
                    AC_MSG_RESULT(using clock_gettime)
                    LIBRT=-lrt
                    ;;