[erlang-questions] is Linux's clock_gettime still "not stable" enough for Erlang?

Joe Williams joe@REDACTED
Wed May 13 22:29:26 CEST 2009

I am seeing issues with this as well. I have some C++ code that uses
clock_gettime and it compiles and seems to work properly. But when I
configure Erlang it complains of it being unstable. I have tried a
couple things to hack around it and force it to be enabled but it didn't
seem to work. Any suggestions on this would be helpful.

Thanks.
-Joe

mats cronqvist wrote:
> Adam Kocoloski <adam.kocoloski@REDACTED> writes:
>

>> Hi, it seems to me that cpu_timestamp tracing is automatically
>> disabled on Linux.  configure spits out
>>

>>> checking if clock_gettime can be used to get process CPU time... not
>>> stable, disabled
>>>
>> and in aclocal.m4 I see
>>

>>> case $host_os in
>>> 	linux*)
>>> 		AC_MSG_RESULT([not stable, disabled])
>>> 		LIBRT=$xrtlib
>>> 		;;
>>> 	*)
>>>
>> I'm wondering what the rationale was behind that, and in particular
>> whether newer kernels might have fixed the problem.  Does anyone
>> around here know a little more of the backstory? Best,
>>

>   I'm not really familiar with this, so the following is at best partly
>   right.
>
>   configure checks for a syscall;
> http://www.linuxhowtos.org/manpages/2/clock_gettime.htm
>
>   On linuxen, this needs support from hardware, the kernel and libc.
>
>   E.g. on debian, with a 2.6 kernel, on i686 HW, you need to install
>   libc6-i686. That will give you a variant of clock_gettime that is
>   deemed "stable" by configure.
>
>   mats

Name: Joseph A. Williams
Email: joe@REDACTED