[erlang-questions] smp not working

Erickson, John john.erickson@REDACTED
Tue May 12 22:15:40 CEST 2009

Hello, I am running erl with -smp enable and it appears to start 4 schedulers.  However, I am not seeing all 4 cores used when I watch cpu usage via top.

When I run erl I get this:

Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.5 [source] [64-bit] [smp:4] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Also, if I run taskset it seems to show all cores enabled for erl:

rrciv10736> taskset -p 20937
pid 20937's current affinity mask: f

I guess I'm missing something simple?  My program is running 4x (or more) threads per cpu and runs across a small cluster fine.  I thought it would be as easy as turning this flag on to enable more cpus.  Am I wrong?

John