[erlang-questions] What ever happened to Stand Alone Erlang (sae) ?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Tue May 5 22:18:50 CEST 2009

Work is ongoing in the direction towards a maintainable Standalone Erlang.
(the previous solution from Joe had its good sides but was not easy to maintain)

With Stand alone Erlang I mean a toolchain that makes it easy for you
as application developers to
package your own code, the code you depend upon from the Erlang/OTP
distribution together with the
Erlang VM in a slim package of few files which can be delivered to
your customers which in turn can install it
easily on their system and just run the application according to your
instructions without having to know anything
about Erlang or that the application is built with Erlang.

Take a look at reltool in the R13 release, it is still unfinished but
will be a tool that makes it easy to:
- Make traditional Erlang target systems
- Make standalone applications (NOT YET)
- Give help to analyze which applications/modules you need in your
target system.
- Use Escript and archive files as part of this.
New features in Escript are also added for this purpose
- Give emulator options in the Escript
- Run a .beam file or an archive file as an Escript
- Write to stderr.

The code servers support for loading code from archive files does also
belong to this area of functionality.

More functionality to complete this will be added in the upcoming
R13B01, 02, 03 drops during the year.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP Ericssson