[erlang-questions] Different behavior between erl and escript when the string module is used for unicode strings

Kawatake Chiharu ckawatak@REDACTED
Fri May 1 10:52:16 CEST 2009

Hi,

I found that erl and escript behaved differently when the string module was
used for unicode strings.

Attached are what I tried to run with erl and escript. I also copied the
code at the bottom of this e-mail.

When I did

%> escript test.erl

This works fine.

However, when I used erl to run it, I got an error as follows.

------------------
%> erlc test.erl
%> erl -noshell -s test main -s init stop
{"init terminating in
do_boot",{undef,[{test,main,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()
-----------------

After looking into this for a while, I start thinking that it seems that
this occurs when I use string:tokens (Or some function in the string module.
I have not tried other functions in the string module yet.)

I am wondering what difference between erl and escript causes this.
Is there anyone who have had a similar thing?

Chiharu

------------------------

-module(test).

-compile(export_all).

for_each_line(Filename, [_, {encoding, Encoding}]=Mode, F, Args) ->
    io:setopts([{encoding, Encoding}]),
    case file:open(Filename, Mode) of
        {ok, Device} ->
            F(Device, Encoding, Args);
        {error, Reason} ->
            erlang:error(Reason)
    end.

tokens(Device, Encoding, N) ->
    case io:get_line(Device, "") of
        {error, Reason} ->
            erlang:error(Reason),
            file:close(Device);
        eof ->
            file:close(Device);
        Line ->
            Tokens = string:tokens(Line, " "),
            lists:foreach(
              fun(T) -> io:format("~ts~n", [T]) end,
              Tokens
             ),
            tokens(Device, Encoding, N)
    end.

main(_) ->
    for_each_line("test1.txt", [read, {encoding, utf8}], fun test:tokens/3,
1).