[erlang-questions] Standard modern salary for an Erlang programmer?

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Thu Mar 26 14:41:54 CET 2009

Andras Georgy Bekes wrote:
>>> Wow.  That's about double what I make as a university lecturer.
>> Are you sure about that calculation? That would mean a lecturer
>> in NZ makes just a little more than a Swedish graduate student,
>> which seems... weird.
> And that means that a Swedish graduate student makes 1.5-2 times more
> than a software developer at a big company (like Ericsson) in Hungary,
> and 2-4 times more than a Hungarian university lecturer.

Sure; it's just that I could expect that for Hungary, given the recent
history of eastern Europe. I thought NZ would be more similar to UK,
Australia, or Sweden, in which case a decent lecturer salary would be
around 35-40k GBP (50-60k USD) per year (and probably more in Oz),
but that was apparently wrong. ...Digging up some statistics, I see that
a top teaching salary in NZ would be 70k NZD, i.e., around 40k USD/year.
Maybe it's a good time to do some travelling...

    /Richard