[erlang-questions] Standard modern salary for an Erlang programmer?

Michael Ossareh ossareh@REDACTED
Thu Mar 26 04:43:47 CET 2009

2009/3/24 G.S. <corticalcomputer@REDACTED>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> What's a standard, good average salary for the Erlang programmer with a few
> years of experience, based in USA?
> Java is 70-90k, and I read online that since us Erlangers, being a less
> known, and essential for writing software that scales, and will scale into
> the future, is much higher. I seem to find various blogs that state the
> salary in 2008 was anywhere from 99k to 180k.

As far as I've managed to work out salary is dependent on the industry
first, the tools second, the company third.

In the accounting/banking industry you're likely to get paid more to
code server side java in a well established company than doing the
same in a web site creation industry.

I know a system admin who wrote everything in perl and worked for a
huge mobile content distribution company that got paid far in excess
of me as a java coder. Simply the company he worked for had more money
coming in.

For a lot of industries you'll, unfortunately, find it hard to find
erlang accepted commonly. Smaller companies are more likely, in the
near term, to accept erlang - and as such you'll probably find it
harder to get bigger salaries.

Clearly there are going to be exceptions to this so limit the flames :)

I often find myself wondering if learning dying languages is a better
way to get paid more than learning new languages that gain popularity.
Cobol in banking anyone? =)

god loves atheists, Fact: http://www.mrwiggleslovesyou.com/comics/rehab477.jpg