[erlang-questions] How do I elegantly check many conditions?

ryeguy ryeguy1@REDACTED
Mon Mar 23 15:17:50 CET 2009

Here is how I ended up doing it. I am mostly satisfied with it.

register(#packet{data=[Username, Password, Email]}) ->
	User=#user{id         = {node(), now()},
			   username   = Username,
			   password   = Password,
			   email      = Email,
			   reg_date   = erlang:localtime()},
	try
		ok=validate_username(Username),
		ok=validate_email(Email),
		ok=validate_password(Password),

		{atomic, _}=mnesia:transaction(fun() ->
			%check if username and email are unique
			{username, []}={username, mnesia:index_read(user, Username,
#user.username)},
			{email, []}={email, mnesia:index_read(user, Email, #user.email)},
			mnesia:write(User)
		end),
		ok
	catch
		error:{badmatch,{password, false}} -> {error, ?E_PASSWORD_FORMAT};
		error:{badmatch,{username, _, _}} -> {error, ?E_USRNAME_FORMAT};
		error:{badmatch,{email, _, _, _}} -> {error, ?E_EMAIL_FORMAT};
		error:{badmatch,{email, false}} -> {error, ?E_EMAIL_FORMAT};

		error:{badmatch, {aborted, {{badmatch, {username, _}}, _}}} ->
{error, ?E_USRNAME_IN_USE};
		error:{badmatch, {aborted, {{badmatch, {email, _}}, _}}} -> {error, ?
E_EMAIL_IN_USE}
	end.

The only thing I kinda dislike is the badmatch catching for possible
errors inside of the mnesia transaction. They're just sloppy looking.
I know that I could use if or cases with mnesia:abort, but that would
just further nest my transaction, give it more code, and be
inconsistent with the pre-transaction checking (since I use pattern
matching there, and I'd be using if/case in the transaction).

Any suggestions at all? Or is this fine?