[erlang-questions] to supervise or not to supervise

steve ellis steve.e.123@REDACTED
Sun Mar 22 17:24:44 CET 2009

I just realized that the process that spawns my standalone supervisors would
linked by default to the supervisors through its call to start_link to start
the supervisors in the first place. So when a supervisor dies because it has
reached its max restarts, the calling gen_server process will get an exit
signal in its handle_info callback of {'EXIT', DeadSupervisorPid,
reached_max_restart_intensity}. This is basic error handling stuff and it is
where i would write my code to do something with the error.

And now as I read the docs on handle_info/2 i see that that is where all
system messages get sent which seems to answer my other question.

So I think I'm on the right track. Please someone let me know if I'm missing
something. Thanks!

Steve