[erlang-questions] to supervise or not to supervise

Lennart Öhman Lennart.Ohman@REDACTED
Fri Mar 20 22:23:16 CET 2009

Hi, as you have discovered there are a few different restart strategies available when designing a supervisor (e.g: one_for_one, one_for all). One can of course come up with more or less an infinite number of such strategies, each one with its own twist.
The main idea and problem at the time when the supervisor behaviour was constructed was that you have a set of more or less permanent processes that implements a subsystem. There should not be any 'illegal' terminations (such that causes the supervisor to act) amongst the children. But, as we know, no non trivial system is completely correct, hence an occasional failure and following restart must be allowed. If we have repeated failures it may indicate that the problem concerns more than this subsystem, therefore the need to eventually escalate the restarts (or as you have discovered kill all children and itself).

If you really want to achieve a situation where failures never escalates above a certain supervisor you can bump up the max-restart threshold and at the same time shorten the sliding window. It is a not uncommon mistake (in normal usage of supervisors :) ) to have a too high max-restart-intensity in combination with a too short sliding window at a higher level supervisor. It may then be too long between escalation attempts by lower level supervisor for the same error, making a higher level supervisor not consider two failures amongst its children being the same error, and therefore not eventually escalate to its superior supervisor.

Best Regards
Lennart

Lennart Öhman                   direct  : +46 8 587 623 27

Sjöland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46 70 552 6735

Hälsingegatan 43, 10 th floor   fax     : +46 8 667 82 30

SE-113 31 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN     email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED