[erlang-questions] Reassigning variables

Tony Arcieri tony@REDACTED
Thu Mar 19 22:57:06 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM, James Hague <james.hague@REDACTED> wrote:

> You can ALREADY simulate imperative updates using function calls (see
> http://prog21.dadgum.com/5.html).  Adding some syntactic sugar to make
> this easiest is a good thing.

You can also implement destructive assignments with a parse transform by
adding version numbers to variables and incrementing the version number
whenever they are used in match expressions, which is how Reia works.  This
approach is a bit trickier than it sounds as there are various scopes (e.g.
lambdas, list comprehensions) where your transform needs to act differently
than it would otherwise.

Again, I would not recommend using this to add destructive updates to
Erlang.  In my totally unbiased opinion, if someone really has a hankering
for doing destructive assignments I suggest you point them at Reia.

--
Tony Arcieri
medioh.com