[erlang-questions] Reassigning variables

Camille Troillard tuscland@REDACTED
Thu Mar 19 17:26:30 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM, mats cronqvist <masse@REDACTED> wrote:

>  I find it interesting that readability is regarded as something only
> pointy-headed academics are interested in, and uninteresting in the
> real world of commercial software.
>
>  In my experience, code that is not "aesthetically pleasant" is
> guaranteed to have this property; only its author can find the bugs.

Alright, let's put it that way:
I'm not saying that one should be content with hard to read code.

Remember the purpose of this thread is to discuss destructive assignments?
 Erlang is born with pattern matching, and non destructive assignments.  I
don't understand why it is a quality to pass around this very quality, that
makes the language better at the price of readability.

I've spent myself lots of time design macros and 'elegant' stuff to please
my eyes.  In the end I eventually found that it was even more code to
maintain and understand.

 This is of course not a problem for a hobbyist, or perhaps even a
> compiler writer.

I'm sorry Mat, but this assertion is very closed minded.

But it is the mother of bad software products.

I agree that easy to read code is better for maintainability.
But this thread has yet to prove that the very solutions being searched for
readability have actually a interest in maintainability.

Best,
Camille