[erlang-questions] Please help me relate a past project to Erlang, I'm trying to understand...

bill robertson billrobertson42+erlang@REDACTED
Wed Mar 18 03:59:07 CET 2009

Thats good.  Now, to make it *stateful* (and this is the heart of the
question).  Suppose you have the requirement to allow a web user to
view the call as it is in progress and show them who is connected
(telephone number), and how long they have been connected, and also
who is disconnected and how long they were connected.

To do this, you need to track three items for each participant.  The
telephone number.  The start time, and a stop time.

So network request comes in, we have to enumerate those pieces of
information for it and send them back to the client.

How would you implement this in a typical Erlang system?

a)  The process map for the participant (bad answer from what I can glean)
b)  An ets/dets table (there are private ets tables right?  how is
that different from the process map?)
c)  A database of some sort (mnesia, relational, whatever)
d)  Some sort OTP FSM construct?
e)  Other (please elaborate)

If I'm being dense, and you need to use simple words, I won't mind.