[erlang-questions] io:request/2 documentation?

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Wed Mar 18 03:27:11 CET 2009

Robert Virding wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> No io:request/2 has not been documented yet. All it does is to send
> off a request to an io-server and wait for the reply. One reason for
> not having documented it is that up until very recently the io-server
> protocol has not been documented.
>
> This has now changed. In January I wrote a description of the older
> io-server protocol. This description was included in my Erlang
> Rationale document which you can find in the User Contributions
> section of trapexit.org <http://trapexit.org>. A truly brilliant piece
> of writing. .-) There is now also a freshly written description of the
> newer io-server protocol which is included in the documentation of the
> just released version R13-A in the user's guide section of stdlib. The
> newer protocol is very similar to the older one, the main change is
> providing for some extra parameters for handling unicode.

I've dug it up and managed to read some of it over lunch. Now, if I can
just hide from customer complaints about our mail server being black
list by hot mail long enough for it to be delisted I might be able
finish it.
> You use io:request/2 in the same manner as it is shown in the leex and
> yecc blogg. A very good description by the way.
Best overview I've seen ( I've been awaiting one) which actually shows
how to use Leex and Yeec in practice. It's one thing to have manuals
it's another to actually have a documented example which fills in the
blanks.

> It can *NOT* be directly used with a gen_tcp generated socket. An
> io-server is a process which obeys the io-server protocol. It would,
> however, not be very difficult to write an io-server which could
> directly read/write against a gen_tcp socket. If someone could show me
> a preferred way of setting up and talking to a socket I can fix the
> io-server.
Sounds like a good idea I can see it being useful in many an app.

Thanks,

Jeff.