[erlang-questions] Request for enhancement: lchown

Thu Mar 12 08:22:07 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 04:43:49PM +0000, Ville Silventoinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologise if I'm asking on the wrong mailing list, I'm not sure what the
> protocol is (should I submit an EEP?).

This would be the right list. The EEPs are for language changes
and very debateable library changes (a'la how should we do REs).
Small library enhancements would go here or maybe
erlang-patches if they are such.

> If possible, it would be great to have "write_link_info" in some future
> release. As far as I know, there is no way to set the owner of a symbolic
> link (write_file_info follows the symlink). I took a look at the
> otp_src_R12B-5 sources, it looks like this could be implemented in
> emulator/drivers/unix/unix_efile.c with a similar function to
> "efile_write_info", except that it would call lchown instead of chown.

Sounds like a important missing feature. We will try to get
it in some day...