[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Mar 5 10:20:41 CET 2009

Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Ulf Wiger
> <ulf.wiger@REDACTED
> <mailto:ulf.wiger@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     So as I understand it, reia makes a similar simplification
>     to gen_server (sans some of the boilerplate, perhaps), but
>     semantically, it will be limited in for complex fsm
>     programming the same way gen_server and gen_fsm are limited,
>     which was exactly the reason plain_fsm. Erlang gives you
>     some goodness while forcing you to add other things yourself.
>

> Reia also has a Process module which wraps proc_lib for cases where
> gen_server is inadequate.

Glad to hear it. I hope I'm not coming across as a
Reia basher. I really haven't looked at it enough to have
formed an independent opinion. In general, I'm very much in
favour of attempts to build other languages on top of the
Erlang VM - like LFE, STOE, Haskell on Rails and Reia.

Whatever comes out of them, surely these are worthy pursuits. (:

BR,
Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger