[erlang-questions] STM

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Mar 5 09:07:24 CET 2009

I wrote the following a while back - it's a very simple implementation of
what I think is a transactional memory - as far as I can see this mirrors
what the hardware guys thinks is a transactional memory. It's just a simple
generalization of the good 'ol test and set.

http://armstrongonsoftware.blogspot.com/2006/09/pure-and-simple-transaction-memories.html

I actually think TMs are a bad idea - it's still shared state - and if
the TM fails
then everything gets screwed up. Adding a TM to a system changes the failure
characteristics of the system. A good goal of systems design is to
isolate things
as much as possible - A better approach is a DHT with a fault-tolerant
replicated store and transactions (like scalaris) - it has worse
latency but is highly scalable
and also offers transactions - what more could you want? (perhaps a TM
cache in front of scalaris :-)

/Joe Armstrong