[erlang-questions] incude_lib question

ttmrichter@REDACTED ttmrichter@REDACTED
Mon Jun 29 15:17:08 CEST 2009

Too bad the documentation isn't searchable and is painfully badly indexed,
eh Peter?

To be more helpful, bokner:

The first link you need to read is
http://www.erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/macros.html#7.1. This references
the function code:lib_dir(). Hitting the function index nets us
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/code.html#lib_dir-1 for that function. This
gives us the explanation that the application must be "located under
$OTPROOT/lib or on a directory referred to via the ERL_LIBS environment
variable".

Now further explanation in that same function tells us that the application
must be "a regular directory called Name or Name-Vsn in the code path with
an ebin subdirectory". So one possibility is that your application doesn't
have an ebin subdirectory. If it doesn't, code:lib_dir() won't find it I'm
wagering. Since I can't see your setup I can't really guess for certain.

In case this isn't the cause, let's take a look at
http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/part_frame.html to see if
there's any clues. There's a whole section on "included applications" so
that looks like it might be a clue there. My eye is drawn toward
http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/included_applications.html#8.2
where it points out the "included_applications" key in the .app file.
Double check that you're actually including the application there, perhaps?

(Looking in the Armstrong book I'm not seeing anything there that's
particularly helpful in answering your question so I think the "any erlang
book" isn't exactly a helpful comment either since there's at least one
that doesn't.)